Turn on the tv on any day of the week and you will soon encounter professional and amateur chefs around the world grinding, stirring and seasoning on evaluations winners such as America’s Test Kitchen, The fantastic British Bake Away and MasterChef: Australia.
Interest in cookery has jumped and so, consequently, have earnings of kitchenware. Silicone products, in particular, have witnessed a huge rise. Watch any chef on TV and it will not be long before you spot him or her producing an excellent dish with the assistance of silicone baking pans, mats and sheets, spatulas and moulds.
With popular TV shows boosting silicone kitchenware, it is no surprise that home cooks are now purchasing these products in ever-increasing amounts. The world-famous John Lewis department store in London, for example, announced in the end of 2012 that its earnings of saline bake-ware increased by 126 per cent year on year.
But what is it all about this product that’s quickly which makes it a must-have at the kitchen?
1. Silicone is a non-toxic substance, meaning that food will not get baked on. This makes silicone bake-ware very easy to clean saving you time and a great deal of elbow grease! Silicone baking mats may be used on top of baking sheets and cookie sheets, or inside baking pans, making your non-silicone bake-ware completely non.
2. Silicone can manage heat and cold. Whether you want to store food in the freezer or cook in the oven, silicone is ideal for the job.
3. Silicone conducts heat very slowly, so utensils remain cool even in a hot saucepan and kitchen tops and surfaces won’t suffer burn marks. When silicone mats are made to add fibreglass net they provide an even heat transport, the fibreglass mesh and silicone operate together to enhance even baking and browning.
4. Silicone does not degrade over time and won’t corrode or stain. If produced from premium excellent silicone your bake-ware can be used thousands of times.
5. Silicone baking sheet is quite flexible so it could be folded or squeezed into tight storage spaces. This also makes the elimination of cakes and desserts out of silicone bake-ware really easy.
6. Silicone is a soft cloth and its utensils will not scratch or hurt non-stick pans.
7. A silicone skillet can be used more than 2000 times so there’s absolutely no need to purchase parchment paper and other disposable linings/sheets. The environment will thank you!
Now that we’ve established the several reasons why silicone is so popular let’s look at the safety problem - saline is manmade after all and for food preparation purposes it will be utilized for making something which you will place in your mouth!